How to Choose the Right LPN School near Luxora Arkansas
There are essentially two scholastic credentials available that provide training to become an LPN near Luxora AR. The one that can be finished in the shortest time period, usually about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma program. The next choice is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These LPN programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and generally require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, in addition to offering a higher credential and more in-depth training, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you pursue, it needs to be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the syllabus adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
What is an LPN?
Licensed Practical Nurses have a number of duties that they carry out in the Luxora AR medical facilities where they are employed. As their titles indicate, they are mandated to be licensed in all states, including Arkansas. Even though they may be accountable for managing Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves usually work under the supervision of either an RN or a doctor. The medical care facilities where they work are numerous and varied, including hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Virtually any place that you can find patients seeking medical care is their domain. Every state not only oversees their licensing, but also what work activities an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their routine work functions may include:
- Checking vital signs
- Giving medications
- Setting up IV drips
- Overseeing patients
- Getting blood or urine samples
- Taking care of patient records
- Helping doctors or Registered nurses with procedures
Along with their job functions being regulated by each state, the health facilities or other Luxora AR healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job duties within those parameters. In addition, they can practice in various specialties of nursing, for example long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs Online
Attending LPN schools online is growing into a more favored way to get instruction and earn a nursing certificate or degree in Luxora AR. Certain schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs require a specific amount of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more practical answer to finding the time to attend school for many students. Regarding tuition, many online degree programs are less costly than other on campus options. Even additional expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be minimized, helping to make education more easily affordable. And many online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. And so if your job and household responsibilities have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online LPN school will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) was $45,030 in May 2017. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $32,970, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $61,030. Most licensed practical nurses near Luxora AR work full time, although about 1 in 5 worked part time in 2016. Many work nights, weekends, and holidays, because medical care takes place at all hours. They may be required to work shifts of longer than 8 hours. Employment of LPNs is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026. Job prospects should be favorable for LPNs who are willing to work in rural and medically under served areas.
What to Ask LPN Schools
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or on the web, you can utilize the following checklist to begin narrowing down your choices. As you probably realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges near Luxora AR as well as within Arkansas and throughout the United States. So it is essential to reduce the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we previously pointed out, the location of the school along with the price of tuition are probably going to be the initial two things that you will consider. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your final decision, use the following questions to see how your pick compares to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program in addition to the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. Aside from helping confirm that you receive a quality education, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not offered for non-accredited schools near Luxora AR.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for LPNs vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specified number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only delivers a top-notch education, but also prepares you to satisfy the minimum licensing requirements for Arkansas or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the assessments are for all of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. In addition, contact the Arkansas school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some nearby Luxora AR healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a superb reputation within the Luxora AR medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The best way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing also. Ask if the schools have associations with nearby Luxora AR community hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Enrolling in an LPN Program near Luxora AR?
If you are considering enrolling in and attending an LPN school near Luxora AR, you may find the following information both interesting and useful when making your final decision.
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 1,178 people residing in the town. The racial makeup of the town was 60.8% Black, 33.1% White, 0.5% Native American and 1.0% from two or more races. 4.6% were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
At the 2000 census, there were 1,317 people, 477 households and 352 families residing in the town. The population density was 584.5/km² (1,514.5/mi²). There were 537 housing units at an average density of 238.3/km² (617.5/mi²). The racial makeup of the town was 40.93% White, 56.04% Black or African American, 0.08% Native American, 1.97% from other races, and 0.99% from two or more races. 2.73% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 477 households of which 38.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.0% were married couples living together, 26.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.0% were non-families. 23.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.76 and the average family size was 3.29.
Select the Right LPN Program near Luxora AR
Picking the ideal Licensed Practical Nurse school is perhaps the most important first step to launching a new career in the medical care industry. There are numerous aspects that you need to consider when choosing a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently contingent on your existing career goals, obligations, and financial status. As we have highlighted in this content, it is essential that you choose an LPN school and a certificate or degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the health care community. You originally decided to visit this website because of an interest in Fast Track LPN Programs Online. However, by utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a shortlist of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become a Licensed Practical Nurse in Luxora AR.
More Practical Locations in Arkansas
Bing: Arkansas LPN Programs Search results
LPN Programs | Licensed Practical Nurse | PracticalNursing.org
The more you learn about nursing while completing your LPN classes, the better prepared you’ll be for your examination and your future career as a licensed practical nurse. We ranked the 2019 top LPN programs in nearly every state where pass rate data has been available. We will continue to update these over the years as well.
LPN to RN Online | Nursing Bridge Programs
Program offered: LPN to RN bridge programs, LPN to BS. Ball State University opened as a teachers’ college in 1899. The university has since expanded to offer 190 undergraduate and preprofessional programs, including the LPN transition track. Students in this program may be able to transfer prior education to the path of earning a BS in Nursing.
ASBN - Continuing Education Arkansas Department of Health
Continuing education for license renewal and reinstatement was mandated by Act 86 of the 2001 Arkansas legislative session. The regulations were put into effect beginning July 1, 2003. Random audits for compliance with the continuing education requirements are conducted.
Online LPN Programs | PracticalNursing.org
Because obtaining licensure as a licensed practical nurse (LPN) requires hundreds of hours of clinical work, there are no true online LPN programs. All students must complete the majority of their coursework in brick and mortar buildings and hospitals where they interact with other nursing students and professors who have experience in the ...
CNA to LPN Programs | Accredited Schools Online
A CNA-to-LPN online curriculum covers the same topics as a campus-based curriculum. Distance learners choose between a synchronous or asynchronous program. Synchronous programs have set virtual class meeting times. Asynchronous programs allow for more flexibility with pre-recorded lectures. What Are Some of the Required Classes and Subjects?
ASBN - Laws & Rules Arkansas Department of Health
The Arkansas Nurse Practice Act is the most important piece of legislation related to nursing practice. The Arkansas Nurse Practice Act states in Subchapter 2, Section 17-87-203, Powers and duties, that “The Arkansas State Board of Nursing shall have the following powers and responsibilities: ... Educational Programs ; Subchapter 5 - Nurse ...