How to Find the Right LPN College near Ivanhoe California
There are basically two academic credentials offered that provide education to become an LPN near Ivanhoe CA. The one that may be completed in the shortest time period, commonly about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma program. The next choice is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These LPN programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma alternative and typically require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, besides offering a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the type of credential you seek, it should be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or some other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the course of study adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
What is an LPN?
Licensed Practical Nurses have many different tasks that they carry out in the Ivanhoe CA medical facilities where they are employed. As their titles indicate, they are mandated to be licensed in all states, including California. While they may be accountable for managing Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves normally work under the oversight of either an RN or a doctor. The medical care facilities where they work are numerous and assorted, such as hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anywhere that you can encounter patients seeking medical treatment is their domain. Every state not only oversees their licensing, but also what duties an LPN can and can’t perform. So based on the state, their daily job functions can include:
- Measuring vital signs
- Giving medications
- Setting up IV drips
- Monitoring patients
- Taking blood or urine samples
- Maintaining patient records
- Helping doctors or RNs with procedures
Along with their job duties being controlled by each state, the health facilities or other Ivanhoe CA healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job duties within those parameters. Also, they can work in different specialties of nursing, including long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
Online LPN Programs
Attending LPN programs online is becoming a more preferred way to receive instruction and acquire a nursing certificate or degree in Ivanhoe CA. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and almost all programs require a specified amount of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this method may be a more convenient solution to finding the free time to attend school for many students. Concerning tuition, some online degree programs are less costly than other on campus options. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be lessened, helping to make education more economical. And numerous online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. So if your job and household commitments have left you with little time to pursue your academic goals, maybe an online LPN training program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) was $45,030 in May 2017. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $32,970, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $61,030. Most licensed practical nurses near Ivanhoe CA work full time, although about 1 in 5 worked part time in 2016. Many work nights, weekends, and holidays, because medical care takes place at all hours. They may be required to work shifts of longer than 8 hours. Employment of LPNs is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026. Job prospects should be favorable for LPNs who are willing to work in rural and medically under served areas.
Questions to Ask LPN Programs
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or online, you can utilize the following checklist to begin narrowing down your options. As you no doubt are aware, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges near Ivanhoe CA as well as within California and throughout the United States. So it is essential to reduce the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a workable list. As we previously discussed, the site of the school and the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the initial two factors that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your ultimate decision, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program along with the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Aside from helping ensure that you receive a quality education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not provided for non-accredited schools near Ivanhoe CA.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for LPNs are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a specified number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are attending not only provides an excellent education, but also prepares you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for California or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Look at online rating companies to see what the reviews are for each of the LPN schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. In addition, check with the California school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some local Ivanhoe CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a good reputation within the Ivanhoe CA medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students attain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing also. Check if the schools have associations with nearby Ivanhoe CA community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placement of students in internships.
Enrolling in an LPN Program near Ivanhoe CA?
If you are considering enrolling in and attending an LPN school near Ivanhoe CA, you may find the following information both interesting and useful when making your final decision.
Ivanhoé Cambridge is a Canadian real estate company with assets around the globe. Its areas of activity are investment, development, asset management, operations and leasing. The company's real estate portfolio consists primarily of shopping centres, office buildings and multiresidential properties. It also has ownership interests in logistics services (storage and distribution) buildings, real estate investment funds and hotels.
The first entity in the real estate portfolio, Ivanhoe Corporation, was founded in 1953 by Sam Steinberg, the Montreal businessman who built Steinberg's grocery store chain. Ivanhoé Cambridge, headquartered in Montreal, has more than 1,400 employees worldwide. Ivanhoé Cambridge is now among 10 largest real estate companies in the world. The value of its assets, located mostly in Canada, the United States, Europe, Brazil and Asia, totalled more than C$60 billion at December 31, 2017.
The initial entity in what later became the Ivanhoé Cambridge real estate group dates to May 12, 1953, when Montreal businessman Sam Steinberg, who built the Steinberg's grocery store chain, founded Ivanhoe Corporation. In 1954, Ivanhoe opened its first shopping centre, Dorval, in the Montreal area. During the 1950s and 1960s, the company focused on building shopping centres in the Greater Montreal area and also built projects in Ontario, especially in the Ottawa area. Ivanhoe specialized in shopping centres located in urban areas.
Pick the Right LPN School near Ivanhoe CA
Choosing the right Licensed Practical Nurse school is probably the most important phase to starting a new career in the health care field. There are many factors that you should take into account when selecting a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently depending on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have pointed out within this content, it is critical that you pick an LPN college and a certificate or degree program that are each accredited and have excellent reputations within the healthcare community. You originally decided to visit this website because of an interest in Practical Nursing School. However, by using our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a shortlist of schools to pick from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become an LPN in Ivanhoe CA.
More Practical Locations in California