How to Enroll In the Right LPN Training near Phillipsville California
There are generally two academic credentials available that provide training to become an LPN near Phillipsville CA. The one that can be concluded in the shortest period of time, commonly about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma program. The second choice is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These LPN programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and generally require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, besides supplying a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you pursue, it should be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the course of study effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
What is an LPN?
Licensed Practical Nurses have many different tasks that they accomplish in the Phillipsville CA health care facilities where they practice. As their titles signify, they are mandated to be licensed in all states, including California. Even though they may be responsible for monitoring Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves typically work under the direction of either an RN or a doctor. The health care facilities where they work are numerous and varied, including hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anywhere that you can find patients in need of medical attention is their dominion. Every state not only controls their licensing, but also what work activities an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their daily work activities might include:
- Measuring vital signs
- Giving medicines
- Setting up IV drips
- Monitoring patients
- Collecting blood or urine samples
- Managing patient records
- Supporting physicians or Registered nurses with procedures
In addition to their occupational duties being controlled by each state, the health care facilities or other Phillipsville CA healthcare providers where LPNs work can additionally limit their job roles within those parameters. Additionally, they can practice in numerous specialties of nursing, such as long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs Online
Enrolling in LPN schools online is growing into a more popular way to obtain training and earn a nursing certificate or degree in Phillipsville CA. Some schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs call for a specified number of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more convenient approach to finding the free time to attend college for some students. Pertaining to tuition, a number of online degree programs are less costly than other on campus alternatives. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be lessened, helping to make education more easily affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. And so if your job and household commitments have left you with very little time to pursue your academic goals, maybe an online LPN program will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) was $45,030 in May 2017. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $32,970, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $61,030. Most licensed practical nurses near Phillipsville CA work full time, although about 1 in 5 worked part time in 2016. Many work nights, weekends, and holidays, because medical care takes place at all hours. They may be required to work shifts of longer than 8 hours. Employment of LPNs is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026. Job prospects should be favorable for LPNs who are willing to work in rural and medically under served areas.
What to Ask LPN Schools
Now that you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or online, you can use the following checklist to begin narrowing down your options. As you no doubt realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges near Phillipsville CA as well as within California and throughout the United States. So it is important to reduce the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a workable list. As we previously discussed, the location of the school and the expense of tuition are most likely going to be the first two points that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate selection, use the following questions to see how your pick measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program as well as the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. In addition to helping confirm that you get a premium education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not offered for non-accredited schools near Phillipsville CA.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for LPNs vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an exceptional education, but also prepares you to meet the minimum licensing standards for California or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Check online rating services to see what the reviews are for each of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. Also, check with the California school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some nearby Phillipsville CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a favorable reputation within the Phillipsville CA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students gain employment.
- Internship Programs. The best way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Almost all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing as well. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with local Phillipsville CA community hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placing of students in internships.
Enrolling in an LPN Program near Phillipsville CA?
If you are considering enrolling in and attending an LPN school near Phillipsville CA, you may find the following information both interesting and useful when making your final decision.
Phillipsville (formerly, Kettintelbe, Philippsville, and Phillips Flat) is a census-designated place in Humboldt County, California. It is located on the South Fork of the Eel River 7.5 miles (12.1 km) north of Garberville, at an elevation of 289 feet (88 m). It is the southernmost town on the Avenue of the Giants. Near the town is the Chimney Tree. This is a redwood tree that resembles a chimney. The ZIP Code is 95559. The community is inside area code 707. The population was 140 at the 2010 census.
A post office operated at Phillipsville from 1883 to 1912, and from 1948 to the present. The name was originally Philips Flat, in honor of George Stump Philips who settled at the place in 1865. The name was changed to Kettintelbe after a local Native American village, but reverted to Phillipsville when the post office reopened in 1948. Phillipsville was home to many popular hotels, including the Riverwood Inn, Madrona Motel, and the DeerHorn Lodge.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Phillipsville had a population of 140. The population density was 188.3 people per square mile (72.7/km²). The racial makeup of Phillipsville was 121 (86.4%) White, 0 (0.0%) African American, 4 (2.9%) Native American, 1 (0.7%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 0 (0.0%) from other races, and 14 (10.0%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3 persons (2.1%).
Select the Right LPN School near Phillipsville CA
Selecting the ideal Licensed Practical Nurse program is perhaps the most critical phase to starting a new career in the healthcare industry. There are numerous aspects that you must consider when choosing a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your current career goals, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have emphasized in this content, it is critical that you select an LPN college and a certificate or degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the medical community. You originally decided to visit this website because of an interest in LPN Online Colleges. However, by utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become an LPN in Phillipsville CA.
More Practical Locations in California