How to Enroll In the Right LPN Program near Rowland Heights California
There are basically two scholastic credentials offered that provide training to become an LPN near Rowland Heights CA. The one that can be completed in the shortest period of time, typically about 12 months, is the certificate or diploma course. The other choice is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These LPN programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and normally require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, besides offering a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you pursue, it should be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the syllabus effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
What is an LPN?
Licensed Practical Nurses have numerous duties that they carry out in the Rowland Heights CA healthcare facilities where they work. As their titles imply, they are required to be licensed in all states, including California. Even though they may be accountable for overseeing Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves typically work under the direction of either an RN or a doctor. The healthcare facilities where they work are numerous and varied, including hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anywhere that you can encounter patients in need of medical care is their domain. Every state not only controls their licensing, but also what functions an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their routine job functions might include:
- Measuring vital signs
- Providing medications
- Initiating IV drips
- Observing patients
- Getting blood or urine samples
- Keeping patient records
- Assisting doctors or RNs with procedures
In addition to their occupational responsibilities being regulated by each state, the health care facilities or other Rowland Heights CA healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job roles within those parameters. In addition, they can work in different specialties of nursing, including long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs Online
Attending LPN programs online is becoming a more preferred way to obtain training and earn a nursing certificate or degree in Rowland Heights CA. Many schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs require a specified amount of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare facility. But since the balance of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more practical approach to finding the free time to attend college for many students. Regarding tuition, some online degree programs are less costly than other on campus choices. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. Therefore if your work and family commitments have left you with little time to pursue your academic goals, it could be that an online LPN program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) was $45,030 in May 2017. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $32,970, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $61,030. Most licensed practical nurses near Rowland Heights CA work full time, although about 1 in 5 worked part time in 2016. Many work nights, weekends, and holidays, because medical care takes place at all hours. They may be required to work shifts of longer than 8 hours. Employment of LPNs is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026. Job prospects should be favorable for LPNs who are willing to work in rural and medically under served areas.
Things to Ask LPN Programs
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or on the web, you can utilize the following checklist to begin narrowing down your choices. As you probably realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges near Rowland Heights CA as well as within California and throughout the United States. So it is important to reduce the number of schools to choose from to ensure that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier pointed out, the location of the school along with the expense of tuition are probably going to be the primary two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program along with the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. In addition to helping ensure that you get a quality education, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not offered for non-accredited schools near Rowland Heights CA.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for LPNs differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only provides a top-notch education, but also readies you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for California or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check internet rating companies to see what the assessments are for all of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews too. In addition, contact the California school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some local Rowland Heights CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN programs you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a good reputation within the Rowland Heights CA medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students attain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Find out if the schools have associations with local Rowland Heights CA community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Enrolling in an LPN Program near Rowland Heights CA?
If you are considering enrolling in and attending an LPN school near Rowland Heights CA, you may find the following information both interesting and useful when making your final decision.
Rowland Heights, California
Rowland Heights is a relatively affluent unincorporated area and census designated place of 13.1 square miles (34 km2), located in and below the Puente Hills in the San Gabriel Valley, in Los Angeles County, California and borders Orange County in the Los Angeles metropolitan area. The population of the census designated place (CDP) was 48,993 at the 2010 census. Rowland Heights is dependent upon representation from the County of Los Angeles (County Board of Supervisors). Rowland Heights is the largest census designated place in Los Angeles County by area and the county's fourth largest CDP by population. Rowland Heights sits in the 39th Congressional District, which is considered to be a Republican stronghold due to the large number of business owners and other high-net-worth individuals.
Spering's Best Places ranks Rowland Heights, Los Angeles County, California at #2 in "Most Comfortable Summer Cities." Rowland Heights has an average household income at one of the top-earning percentiles in the country at $99,354, while the median household income is $83,606; compared to Los Angeles, where the average household income is $81,225, and the median household income is $56,993. Rowland Heights is primarily residential with several shopping centers and restaurants.
A number of corporations, particularly in the technology and import/export businesses, are located in neighboring City of Industry. Many business owners and employees, therefore, reside in Rowland Heights as well as Hacienda Heights, and Walnut due to the close vicinity.
Pick the Right LPN Program near Rowland Heights CA
Choosing the ideal Licensed Practical Nurse program is probably the most important step to launching a new career in the medical care field. There are various aspects that you need to think about when picking a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career goals, obligations, and financial situation. As we have emphasized in this article, it is critical that you pick an LPN college and a certificate or degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the medical community. You originally decided to visit this website because of an interest in Practical Nursing Online Program. However, by utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a shortlist of schools to choose from so that you can make your final selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your dedication and ambition to succeed, you can become an LPN in Rowland Heights CA.
More Practical Locations in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 199